Today I did research for Mia in order to obtain information regarding the Martin Luther King program. By doing this, I discovered a new website that has archive material. I can use this website (which can be found when one types “Florida Photographic Collection” in Google.com) for future projects that I may do. However, one has to pay if one wants these photographs. I also was required to find the contact information of a professor and author of a book we need by the name of Dr. Marvin Dunn. By doing this, I found a website titled Intelius.com that provides contact information of whoever one wants to look up. Yet, Marvin Dunn is a very common name. Thus, the website provided numerous results. On the bright side, I have a new website that I can use if I need contact information. Hopefully I won’t get as many results when I do research! Overall, today was pleasant and, as always, informative.
Today I showed Mia the treatment I worked on last night. She liked the catchiness of the article, yet wanted more solid information on the stars of the show. Thus, I did further research on the show Weird Florida by using the articles and website Mia gave me to look at. I added more information about the background of the host, Charlie, and his co-host (who is also his dog) Miss Scarlet. By revising this paper, I learned more about the characters and discovered that Charlie was originally a historian and wrote numerous books and articles before landing on TV. Miss Scarlet was abused by her previous owners and now resides contentedly with Charley in New Smyrna. Overall, today was comprised of computer and desk work filled with research. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable.
Today I typed up the logs I finished watching and recording yesterday in the formatted column that was requested of me. Because I had experience doing this, I finished the task quite efficiently and quickly. After the day was done, I went home to work on the assignment Mia wanted me to do. She wanted me to write a basic summary for the TV show “Weird Florida: On the Road Again”. I learned that this summary is called a “treatment”. The length of mine came out to be about three paragraphs long. I hope Mia likes it!
Today at WLRN I came in to finish the logs I was required to do for the Martin Luther King videos. Mia condensed the amount of work by telling me which scenes to log and which ones to ignore. This made my work load a whole lot lighter! I also discovered that by using my laptop, I can control the pause button easier and more effectively on the DVD, which makes the logging process more accurate when determining times of scenes. Overall, my day involving the logging process was a lot easier than yesterday and the day went by quicker as well.
Today Mia and I went to the Miami Dade Library in order to do research for the Martin Luther King program we are working on. We also visited the Historical Museum of Southern Florida in order to get more information for the program. This visit made me realize that museums are a great source of information and can provide numerous ideas for various projects. When returning to my office at WLRN, I watched a DVD and wrote down the time every shot was shown and the time when every shot was finished. Until doing this, I never realized that so many shots can exist in one scene! It is mind blowing to count how many shots can exist in a thirty second scene. Trying to capture each shot was a bit tedious and frustrating. However, the overall day was pleasant as well as successful
Today, I stayed in Studio A and finished up the logs for the Martin Luther King program Mia and I are working on. I watched the rest of the footage that was assigned to me and typed up the last bit of my log. Although I did somewhat of the same thing today that I did on Wednesday, I learned more about the logging process. For instance, I learned to keep the descriptions for the pictures simple yet specific. Thus, I lessened the detail content of what I wrote. Overall, today was full of work with the computer in one place as opposed to hands-on work in multiple places.
Today I assisted with the Silver Knight Awards. I set up wires and equipment backstage, worked with cameras, and used headsets with microphones. By doing all this, I came to the realization that although the show started at eight at night, the crew started setting up at eleven in the afternoon. I used to think that TV crews set up five hours before airing at the most! Although it was my busiest day at WLRN, it was my favorite. I enjoyed doing backstage work and hope to get more hands-on experience. Not to mention I have background knowledge of how to work with cameras – I took a course in Broadcasting that provided me with plenty of information on the technical aspect of TV stations.